The Side By Side program, located on the Northwest side of Grand Rapids
at our picturesque Family Life Center, provides respite day services to primary caregivers of older adults with age onset disabilities, including cognitive impairments. Side By Side seeks to create and sustain an enhanced environment that nourishes individual potential, promotes community cohesiveness, and serves as the benchmark for excellence in mental health services.
A care plan is developed with each participant and in collaboration with the family and caregivers. The primary focus of Side By Side is to provide enrichment activities such as gardening, art, dance, and music. The program is designed to maintain or improve social, educational, psychological, and physical challenges of the participants, while providing a positive impact on body, mind, and spirit.
In our “Living Gardens”, participants enjoy rolling waterfalls and beautiful landscaping where fruits, vegetables, and annual and perennial flowers flourish. The Family Life Center also includes an atrium and is designed to accommodate year round gardening activities.
Take a Photo Tour of our Living Gardens
Meet Our Team
See what's happening at Side By Side this month!
- 1 staff to every 5 participants at all times
- Subsidized participation based on eligibility
- Individual care plan developed in collaboration with participant, family, and caregivers
- Comprehensive goals and objectives to promote the well-being of the participant and caregiver
- Well-balanced meal provided by Senior Meals on Wheels
- Assistance with personal care as needed
- Transportation to and from the facility can be arranged
Our qualified staff members offer links to additional services in the community such as long-term care, overnight respite, bathing services, hospice, visiting physicians, in-home care, and the Alzheimer’s Association.
At Side By Side, we wish to make our program as accessible as possible to those it can benefit. The criteria for admission includes the following:
- Intake assessment for each participant
- Ability to participate in a group setting
- Ability to follow simple instructions
- Ability to transfer with a maximum of one person assisting
- Ability to take medications with minimal assistance
In an effort to accommodate the diverse needs of all the families we serve, Side By Side is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We welcome and encourage visitors to tour our program and facility.