The Side By Side Program, located in the Family Life Center in Grand Rapids, is designed to provide respite services to primary caregivers who need relief from the day-to-day care giving of a dependent family member over the age of 55 years with age-onset disabilities, including cognitive impairments, Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia.
Contact Us/Schedule a Tour:
1256 Walker Ave NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
The Side By Side Program philosophy models after the overall agency mission and values. Therefore, the mission of Side By Side is to create and sustain an enhanced living and working environment that nourishes individual potential, promotes community cohesiveness, and serves as the benchmark for excellence in mental health services.
The goals of the program are to:
- Maximize satisfaction of consumers served
- Maximize consumer socialization
- Maximize safety of consumers
- Maximize goal achievement
An intake assessment for each participant in collaboration with the referring health care professionals indicated.
- Subsidized participation based on eligibility
- An enrichment plan developed in collaboration with participant, family and care givers
- Comprehensive goals and objectives that promote the well being of the participant and caregiver.
- A well balanced hot meal.
- Assistance with personal care as needed.
- Transportation to and from the facility can be arranged
In order to be eligible for the Side By Side Adult Day Services program, participants must be 55 years of age or older and meet the following criteria:
- Have a diagnosis of an age related cognitive impairment
- Require regular supervision in order to live in their own home or the home of a relative
- Are capable of leaving their residence, with assistance, to receive services
- May require one assist with toileting, toilet hygiene, and feeding
- Need intervention in the form of enrichment and opportunities for social activities, in order to prevent and/or postpone deterioration that would likely lead to moving to a congregate living setting
Some individuals are not appropriate for the Side by Side Adult Day Services program. The following is a list of reasons why an individual would be deemed ineligible for our services:
- Uncontrolled physical, verbal or sexual aggression or behavior
- Uncontrolled anxiety
- Inability to cooperate with personal care assistance
- Requiring more than a one person assist with personal care
- Inability to bear weight or pivot with one assist
- Requiring the use of enteral feeding (tube feeding)
- Ventilator dependent or need for suctioning
Should a participant begin to exhibit any of the above criteria or decline in overall physical health that exceeds the care capabilities of the program, the participant will be discharged from the program. The Day Services Director and/or Care Coordinator will meet with the participant and family members to make discharge arrangements and any appropriate referrals to alternate resources at the time of discharge.
If consumer has been discharged from the program longer than 30 days, they will need to be reassessed by the Program Director, Program Nurse or the Program Manager/Assistant Manager, to ensure they still meet program admission criteria.
- We will assist families with discharge planning.
- We offer podiatry services quarterly.
- We will link services for families based on their needs by giving them referrals to the services they require, including long-term care, overnight respite, bathing services, hospice, visiting physicians, in-home care, and the Alzheimer’s Association.
Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have about our programs or services.